As a Civil Engineer, I believe in not only a strong code of ethics as published by the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) but also in the importance of keeping the civil engineering profession strong to rebuild our country’s infrastructure. A lot of people don’t understand what all a civil engineer does. According the ASCE, civil engineers design, build, and maintain the foundation for our modern society – our roads and bridges, drinking water and energy systems, sea ports and airports, and the infrastructure for a cleaner environment, to name just a few.
Civil engineering touches us throughout our day. Think of a civil engineer when you:
- Turn on your tap to take a shower or drink clean water
- Flick on your lights and open your refrigerator
- Drive to work on roads and bridges through synchronized traffic lights
- Take mass transit or take a flight for a vacation
- Toss your empty coffee cup in the recycling bin